blogspot visit counter

View My Stats

Thank for visiting my travel blog for Germany!

Thanks for visiting my travel blog for Germany! Please share this link with friends near and far...

I have enjoyed sharing the amazing Goethe-Institut Transatlantic Outreach Program adventure with you. I hope you also have enjoyed the photos! I have added videos and more photos for your enjoyment!

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Ruhrgebiet day two

Our fearless guides Madalena and Nico!



We enjoyed another fine day in the Ruhrgebiet area.  We began with a visit t the MUSEUM FOLKWANG which houses a major collection of 19th and 20th century art.  


The Museum Folkwang owes its reputation to its excellent collection of 19th century and classical modern paintings and sculpture, post-1945 art and photography. The architect of the recently re-opened museum is David Chipperfield.



The building uses natural light, airy design and many courtyards to display their art works.  The exhibition brought together many of its works that had been considered "degenerate" art and sold off by the Nazis in 1933. 



You can tell they are proud to be able to have the works back for the newly renovated and reopend museum.


We traveled to DUISBURG for a harbor tour of Europe’s largest inner harbor with lunch on board.  I found the Rathaus and St. Salvator Church.  It was a lovely way to spend a few afternoon hours.

It also whets our appetite for the Rhine river tour on Friday!  (I will especially enjoy that boat tour as my sisters and I took that journey many years ago!)


We then took a train for a quick visit to Cologne to enjoy the Cathedral and old town.  It was a short visit, but many of us had never seen the city of Dom.


We meet with teachers, students and a representative of the Education ministry today, then by train to Frankfurt for the rest of our study tour!





No comments:

Post a Comment